Lore is a resource that can be assimilated to research. It stacks up as the game goes on and allows players to unlock knowledges from the Lore Tree. Knowledges are bonuses that are divided in three main branches : Production, Military, and Economy. Unlocking enough knowledges grants other additional bonuses called "Blessing" and can eventually lead to a Wisdom Victory. In game, the Lore menu can be opened by pressing the shorcut "L".
The Knowledge tree
The lore tree is composed of a set of standard knowledges, with an additional set of 5 clan-specific replacement knowledges (except for the Boar clan, which has 7). Depending on the clan, specific knowledges replaces various common knowledges to better fit that clan's specific gameplay. As a result, even though most of the knowledges are common across clans, each clan has its own unique lore tree that will affect its playstyle.
|Population Size||Lore generated|
- Population - Some lore is gained based on population size.
- Loremaster - Produce 3 Lore at Runestones, Carved Stones or Ancient Graveyard, production gets a bonus in Circle of Stones and Relic of the Gods.
Erudition gives an additional 40% bonus to all loremasters.
- Sailor - Each sailor produces 0.8 Lore when on Lore Raids. Shipbuilding increases sailors production by 25%.
- Vedrfolnir - Healing the creature earns 100.
- Ancient Graveyard gives 50 to the first player who colonize it.
- Ruins - Scouting them gives at least 50. This is a powerful early boost.
- Altar of Kings - Passively produces 1 Lore.
- Jörmunr - Produce lore based on territory size. Allows areas to be colonized with lore.
|Number of areas||1 - 5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13||14|
- Boar clan : Mender - Produce 1 Lore each, if not actively healing.
- Raven clan : Raiding coastal tiles related to Lore mechanics (with Ruins, Runestones, etc) grants the player 80
- Horse clan : Excavation allows Eitria and Brok to produce lore while mining. Making it one of the key knowledges of the clan.
- Kraken clan : Knowledge from Beyond makes trade routes generate lore. Also a key knowledge of the clan.
Blessings and Wisdom Victory
Upon learning your 6th Knowledge, you may select a Blessing from the Gods. For each additional 3 Knowledges that you learn thereafter, you may select another Blessing from the Gods.
Freya's Blessing - Reduces loss of Food production during winter by 50% and Wood consumption by 15%.
Baldr's Blessing - You gain +3 Happiness.
Jord's Blessing - You gain 15 Stone and 10 Iron.
Once you have learned 15 Knowledges and unlocked the 3 Blessings, you may unlock the last Blessing, Ancestral Knowledge, at which time, you win a Wisdom Victory.
Tips and Tricks
Carved Stone wastes valuable stone. You may want to build it only if going for wisdom victory and after unlocking Erudition to save on the first building. Building it on Circle of Stones or Relic of the Gods makes the loremaster benefit from the area bonus too.
In multiplayer games, lore choices are just as important as build order. While some are almost mandatory (Recruitment, Fur Coats, Military Strategy, Most of Happiness-related Clan Unique...), others can be very situational and nearly useless most of the time (Hearthstone, Negotiation, Monster Slayer, Erudition...). Watch your clan page for more specific advice.