|The Merchant gathers krowns in Trading Posts and Market Places.|
Merchants are, alongside with sailors, one of the principal gold income source in the game. They can be acquired by tasking a Villager to work at the Trading Post or the Marketplace and will produce 2 Kröwns by default.
Tips and tricks
In order to build a strong economy, your merchants production can be improved in several ways and benefit from multiplicative bonuses.
- Tool improvement gives +15% bonus to all merchants.
- Unlocking Coinage Knowledge gives +20% bonus to all merchants.
- Upgrading a Trading post or Marketplace gives another +20% bonus for all the merchants on the tile.
- Upgrading both Trading post and Marketplace on the same area gives +40% bonus for all the merchants on the tile. It is called a commerce center.
- For Stag, with Dedication, to build a commerce center will earn you a +60% bonus for all the merchants on the tile instead of +40% since each of the upgraded building will benefit another +10% from Dedication.
- Feast will give you another +20% of production.
- Finally, beware that you will have a -20% malus for each of your injured merchant.
Bonus are always added by the game, never multiplicated.
For example, if you have Tool improvement with a Trading post and Marketplace on a same tile, you will earn a 15+20+20 = +55% bonus on production. Then each full healed merchant on this tile will then earn you 1.55*2 = 3.1 Kröwns per cycle or 6*3.1 = 18.6 Kröwns per month. An injured merchant with same conditions will only earn 1.35*2 = 2.7 Kröwns per cycle.
Other example, a full commerce center (Trading post and Marketplace both upgraded) with 6 healthy merchants will then produce 6*1.75*2 = 21 Kröwns per cycle (see Great Trading Route for comparison) or 6*21 = 126 Kröwns per month.